The Compagnia di San Paolo is on of the leading private foundation in Europe. The Compagnia was founded by a Brotherhood in 1563, and later changed into a bank and general charity institution. The current Articles of Association was adopted in March 2000.
The Foundation participates in society’s activities by pursuing ends that are of public interests and social utility, with the aim of favouring civil, cultural, and economic development in the community in which it is active. The areas in which the Compagnia di San Paolo acts are those of Research and Higher Education; Cultural Heritage; Cultural Activities; Health and Welfare Policies. The Compagnia’s programmes are defined on an annual and multi-annual basis and aimed at financing both public and non-profit organizations either through funds allocations or other procedures, including the direct control of programmes and the action of specialized “instrumental organizations”, both established and financed by the Compagnia, occasionally in cooperation with other institutions in the same field of interests.
The Compagnia is a member of the European Foundation Centre, located in Brussels, and of ACRI, the Italian Association of Foundations of banking origin located in Rome.